Hey, everyone! I’m pretty excited about the project I’m sharing with you today and I think you’re going to like it. I mentioned before that my niece and nephews LOVE Pokèmon and I recently made a bunch of pokèballs for them. Well, that same day, we talked about how cool it would be to make the actual monsters and my nephew asked if I would make him a crochet Charizard. So, I did just that.
This is the kind of project that I love. It’s something different and creative. It has lots of parts and pieces, but they’re all worth it when you get something this cool in the end. I had so much fun making this and sharing the progress on my Instagram and Facebook Page, and now I can finally show the finished result and tell you a little bit about it!
The original pattern for this is from Mia Atelier. I did plan on creating a pattern myself, but when I saw this on Pinterest, I decided to go with Mia’s. It was absolutely perfect and so detailed that I didn’t feel the need to change much. And the things I did change were personal preferences that didn’t have much to do with the actual pattern.
The only things I really changed was the main body color and the wires used to give it support.
For the color change, I felt like the light orange she used was too bright. From other pictures of the character, it decided that I wanted my crochet Charizard to have a deeper shade of orange for its body. So, I used I Love This Yarn in Burnt Pumpkin.
The other thing I changed was Mia’s use of the wire. At first, I missed it entirely because it wasn’t listed in the materials. But I read through the pattern and the last few steps use a thick wire to help join all the pieces and support their weight. Because I was making this for a little kid that I know is going to actually play with this crochet Charizard, I was reluctant to put a heavy wire inside it. I didn’t want it to come out and poke him or anything. So I skipped that for most of the Charizard and instead I used pipe cleaners in the wings and tail. I wanted the wings and tail to be posable and still stay up on they’re on, but not be so sturdy that it might hurt the kid. And I think the thicker pipe cleaners work really well for that.
While I was making this, I couldn’t quite see how it would work out and where all the pieces would go. But I decided to make all of the body pieces first, pin them together to be sure everything looked right, and then sew them together. Then, I made all the little facial features and positioned them. The last thing I added was the eyes and it brought the whole thing together.
I love Mia’s version of the crochet Charizard. More importantly, my nephew loved it. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. She even had a video on how to do the head because it got a little bit tricky there. After looking around her site a little bit, I saw a bunch of other great amigurumi patterns, including a black version of Charizard. You can get the pattern for this one (and the black one) right here.
So one Pokèmon down and a few more to go! I’m making a Snorlax soon for my other nephew and the Legendary Birds for my niece, so look forward to that! In the meantime, you can take a look at some of my other crochet patterns.
If you want to get updates when I post something new and get access to the subscriber-only resource library, subscribe! Just fill out the box below and you’ll be added to the mailing list. Thanks for reading!