Hey, everyone! I’m pretty excited about the project I’m sharing with you today and I think you’re going to like it. I mentioned before that my niece and nephews LOVE Pokèmon and I recently made a bunch of pokèballs for them. Well, that same day, we talked about how cool it would be to make the actual monsters and my nephew asked if I would make him a crochet Charizard. I spent some time looking up patterns I could use (since I didn’t want to design one myself) and I came across one that looked perfect! Today, I’m going to show you the finished product and do a little review for this crochet pokemon pattern.
This is the kind of project that I love. It’s something different and creative. It has lots of parts and pieces, but they’re all worth it when you get something this cool in the end. I had so much fun making this and sharing the progress on my Instagram and the Facebook Page, and now I can finally show the finished result and tell you a little bit about it!
Charizard Crochet Pokemon Pattern Review
The original pattern for this is by Ana Amelia. If you like anime and geeky characters, check out her blog because she has some amazing things on there! At first sight, this pattern was absolutely perfect and so detailed that I didn’t feel the need to change much. And the things I did change were personal preferences that didn’t have much to do with the actual pattern.
Even though this is a free pattern, I wanted to review it because there is a lot that goes into this crochet pokemon pattern. If you’re starting it, I thought it might be helpful to know what you’re getting into.
The pattern itself is very detailed and the designer has TONS of pictures of each part and steps to show you what to do. Some of the more tricky elements even had a video to walk you through it. I found that super helpful when making the snout for Charizard.
She also uses some wire inside to make the Charizard sturdier and goes into detail explaining how to shape and insert it. It wasn’t listed in the materials, so it was a little confusing when she starting using it. I chose not to use wire in the end. I see how it helps the character stand, but more on that below.
The only things I really changed was the main body color and the wires used to give it support.
For the color change, I felt like the light orange she used was too bright. From other pictures of the character, I decided that I wanted my crochet Charizard to have a deeper shade of orange for its body. So, I used I Love This Yarn in Burnt Pumpkin.
The other thing I changed was the use of the wire. At first, I missed it entirely because it wasn’t listed in the materials. But I read through the pattern and the last few steps use a thick wire to help join all the pieces and support their weight. Because I was making this crochet pokemon pattern for my little nephew, and I knew he was going to actually play with it, I didn’t put a heavy wire inside it. I didn’t want it to come out and poke him or anything.
So I skipped that for most of the Charizard and instead I used pipe cleaners in the wings and tail. I wanted the wings and tail to be posable and still stay up on they’re own, but not be so sturdy that it might hurt my nephew if it did come out. And I think the thicker pipe cleaners work really well for that.
While I was making this, I couldn’t quite see how it would work out and where all the pieces would go. This is probably the m