St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, so I decided to play around the idea of making a crocheted leprechaun! This is my first crocheted doll, and although I’ve made a lot of animals other toys, this is the first time I’ve made something that’s meant to look more human. It was actually a much easier project than some of my other animals (like that Charizard!), and then adding the accessories really made my crocheted leprechaun come to life. The full pattern is below, so keep reading!
Crocheted Leprechaun Pattern
This crocheted leprechaun is made from the bottom up, starting with the legs and feet, working up the body, and then adding facial features and clothing at the end. I worked in continuous rounds with slip stitch at the end of each round and I used a hodge podge of yarn scarps that I had.
- 3.5mm crochet hook (my favorite hooks)
- Yarn in black, medium green for pants, dark green for the shirt, bright green for vest and hat, gold/yellow, a cream/flesh color, and orange for the beard
- Black embroidery floss
- Polyfill stuffing
- Tapestry needle
- Locking stitch markers
- Mod Podge/ glue
Feet/legs (make 2):
1. First, we’ll start with the boots and work up. With black yarn, create a magic loop and work 6 SC into it. Pull the loop closed, but do not slip stitch to close.
2. Increase into each space by working 2 SC into each space (12).
3. SC around (12).
4. *SC 1, increase* and repeat everything from * to * around (18)
5-7. SC around for 3 rounds (18).
8. *SC 1, decrease by skipping a space and SC into the next* and repeat around (12).
9. SC around.
10. Switch to a medium green yarn and SC around for 16 rounds (12). Bind off, but leave a long tail for sewing the legs onto the body later.
Body and Head:
1. With the same medium green as the legs, we’ll start with the pants. Create a magic loop and work 6 SC into it. Pull the loop closed (6).
2. Increase in each space (12).
3. *SC 1, increase* and repeat around (18).
4. *SC 2, increase* and repeat around (24).
5. *SC 3, increase* and repeat around (30).
6. SC around.
7. *SC 4, increase* and repeat around (36).
8. SC around.
9. *SC 5, increase* and repeat around (42).
10-13. SC around for 4 rounds.